An 8-year-old boy died after an apparent murder-suicide Monday in a special needs elementary classroom in San Bernardino, Calif., that also left two adults dead, according to police, media reports and the Associated Press.

The boy was identified as Jonathan Martinez, who was airlifted to Loma Linda Medical Center after the shooting, KTLA reported. The boy died at the hospital, according to KTLA.

There were gasps from reporters as they learned about Jonathan's death during a Monday afternoon press conference, reporter Fernando Hurtado of Circa said via Twitter.

Police responding to a call at 10:27 a.m. found the suspected gunman, Cedric Anderson, and his wife, teacher Karen Smith, dead, KTLA reported, attributing the details to Police Chief Jarrod Burguan.

"We believe this to be a murder suicide," Burguan tweeted about the shooting at Northpark Elementary School. "Happened in a class room. Two students have been transported to the hospital."

Jonathan Martinez and one other wounded student were airlifted to local hospitals, according to Burguan, a police statement and schools spokeswoman Maria Garcia, who told the Associated Press that the shooting was a domestic dispute.

Police said youngsters were being bused to the campus of California State University, San Bernardino, "to be accounted for."

They were later being moved to Cajon High School to be reunited with parents and "for safety," Burguan said.

Authorities were bringing in sandwiches and movies for the children while they waited, police department spokeswoman Vicki Cervantes said. "Trying to make a bad situation better," she said.

"Police operations are continuing to secure the area. However, we do believe the threat is down," Burguan tweeted.

The San Bernardino City Unified School District said the threat had been "neutralized" and that parents could pick up their kids at the high school.

The school will be closed for the next two days, police said. They scheduled a press conference for 3:30 p.m. local time Monday.

San Bernardino was the site of one of the nation's worst terror attacks in December 2015. Fourteen people were killed and more than 20 wounded when a married couple stormed into a seminar and Christmas party for county workers. The shooters were later killed in a shootout with police.