(KING) - The Seattle Seahawks have been issued a fine of $100,000 for failing to apply the NFL’s concussion protocol to Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson in a game against the Arizona Cardinals on Nov. 9.

The NFL and the NFL Players’ Association jointly reviewed the situation and interviewed members of the Seahawks organization over the last month.

A statement was issued from the two committees today, announcing the Seahawks were fined $100,000 for failure to enforce concussion protocol. The team’s coaching and medical staff will also be required to attend remedial training regarding the protocol.

Here is the full statement:

The NFL and NFLPA have jointly reviewed the application of the Concussion Protocol to Russell Wilson. The results of the joint review determined there was a failure in the application of the protocol following the tackle of Mr. Wilson during the Seahawks-Cardinals game on November 9.

As a result, Seattle has been fined $100,000 and the coaching and medical staffs will be required to attend remedial training regarding the protocol.

The results of the joint review determined that the protocol was triggered when Mr. Wilson was directed to the sideline for an evaluation after the referee, Walt Anderson, concluded that a medical examination was warranted. Nonetheless, the required evaluation was not conducted and Mr. Wilson was permitted to return to the game without an evaluation. Once it is determined that a medical examination is warranted, a player may only be cleared to return by the medical staff; Mr. Wilson’s return to the field without a sideline concussion evaluation was therefore in violation of the Concussion Protocol. Subsequently the team medical staff did examine the player and clear him per the protocol.

As determined by the NFL and NFLPA, an immediate update will be made to the protocol instructing officials, teammates, and coaching staff to take players directly to a member of the medical team for a concussion assessment. The NFL and the NFLPA will continue to look at potential modifications to the protocols in an effort to keep players safe.

The play in question occured when Wilson took a helmet hit to the chin from Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby in the third quarter of Seattle’s 22-16 win over Arizona during Thursday Night Football last month.

While Wilson did not show any obvious signs of a concussion following the hit, referee Walt Anderson ushered the Seahawks quarterback off the field for a test.

Wilson ran to the sideline and sat down in the medical tent, but left before the medical team had a chance to evaluate him to return. He rejoined the team after one play.

The 29-year-old quarterback returned to the field for two more plays before Seattle punter. Wilson returned to the tent for a longer period of time and was on the field when the team regained possession.

The NFL concussion policy states that a player that shows concussive symptoms cannot return to “practice or play” until a team physician has cleared him.

The Seahawks responded to the league’s findings in a statement on Thursday: