Erik Kimrey had never seen anything like it before and may not see anything like it again.

A 42-0 halftime lead and a running clock in the second half were part of the most dominating performance in a state championship game in recent memory - a 49-7 victory by the Skyhawks over a Laurence Manning team that was seeking its first state championship in football since 1997.

Hammond had its streak of consecutive state championship appearances snapped at 10 last season. But the Skyhawks returned in 2017 with a vengeance - recording an undefeated season (12-0) and winning most of their games in dominating fashion.

Hammond opened scoring with a 55-yard touchdown pass from Corbett Glick to Cleo Canty. Four consecutive touchdown runs by Wilson transfer Jordan Burch pushed the lead to 35-0.

The 42-0 halftime lead was reached when Burch took a pitch and handed it back to Glick who found Lucas Prickett in the corner of the end zone for a 16-yard connection.

Glick and Prickett would hook up one final time on a 39-yard touchdown in the third quarter.

Laurence Manning's lone score came on a 61-yard touchdown pass from Burgess Jordan to Taylor Lee.

It was the ninth state title for Kimrey and the 15th title overall for the Skyhawks.

"The quality of football we played in the playoffs was tremendous," Kimrey said.

"It's the highest level of football a Hammond team has probably ever played. Just so proud of these guys. We've never done something like this and won in this fashion before. So it really speaks to the level of football these guys are playing."

For Prickett, the senior who caught six catches for 140 yards, the performance at Benedict's Charlie W. Johnson Stadium was something he did not see happening.

"If you told me back in the spring we would beat LMA 49-7 in the state championship, I'd told you you were crazy," said Prickett.

Glick transferred to Hammond from Heathwood Hall two seasons ago and in his first and last state championship appearance, he could sense something special was about to happen.

"In the locker room, the guys,they were relaxed," Glick said.

"They were treating it like any other game. At that time, I knew we were going to click on all cylinders."