(WLTX) - Blue Cross Blue Shield sent by their chefs on Friends at Five to show off some healthy tailgating options.
Here are their recipes.
Description: half mushroom/half ground beef. Served as 1 meatball
Number of servings: 8
Serving size: 4 oz
Allergens: milk eggs, soy wheat
1 lb beef, fround 85/15
1 lb mushrooms, fresh (trimmed & cleaned well)
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, fresh
1 tsp black pepper, ground
1 tsp salt, kosher
1. Lightly spray sheet pan and mushrooms with pan spray. Roast mushrooms in 350F over for 8-10 minutes.
2. Cool mushrooms. Process in food processor until bread crumb consistency.
3. Combine all the ingredients and form into 1 oz meatballs.
4. Cook at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature of 165F is reached.
5. Hold hot above 140F for service
Baked Wings with Cilantro Lime Dip
2 pounds of whole chicken wings
1/2 cup reduced super apricot preserves
1 tablespoon minced garlic, reserve 1/2 teaspoon
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon Thai-style chili garlic sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat over to 375
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray
3. Remove skin from wings
4. Lay chicken wings in a single layer on the baking sheet and spray again with cooking spray
5. Bake for 10 minutes
6. While the chicken is baking, whisk apricot preserves, 2 1/2 teaspoons of garlic, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper together and set aside.
7. After the wings have been in the over for 10 minutes, coat them generously with the apricot preserve mixture.
8. Return to the over for another 15 minutes or until wings are cooked through and glazed is caramelized.
9. In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cliantro, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Tip 1 - While it is hard to get the skin off the wings, it's worth it to reduce the fat.
Tip 2. - If you don't like cilantro, you can substitute 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley in the dip.
Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
1 10.5 ounce package chopped frozen spinach
1/2 cup fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup fat-free feta cheese crumbles
1 teaspoon garlic, minced from jar
2 teaspoons dried parsley or dill (or 1/3 cup fresh chopped)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 whole-wheat pitas, toasted--cut them into quarters, brush lightly with olive oil and toast in preheated 400 oven until lightly browned
1. Cook spinach according to package directions and drain in colander. Then press with fork to drain completely.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve with pita slices.
Recipe by Eating Well Test Kitchen
1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large ripe avocado, cubed
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tobasco, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place zucchini in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing tightly on the zucchini to extract any liquid.
2. Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl; add avocado, cliantro, onion, garlic, lime juice, hot sauce, and salt and coarsely mash until combined.
Make ahead tip: cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Black Bean Brownie
Serves 16, 1 brownie per serving
Non-stick cooking spray
1 (15-ounce) can black beans or 1 3/4 cups cooked, cooled black beans
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate, peanut butter, or butterscotch chips, or chopped nuts
9 inch square baking dish
1. Preheat over to 350 F. Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a colander, drain and rinse beans
3. In a large bowl, use fork to whisk eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add beans and mash with fork until beans are barely visible (this can take 5 minutes or more of mashing.) Stir in sugar and cocoa. Blend with a rubber spatula until mixed. If using, stir in chips or nuts now.
4. Pour batter into the baking dish. Bake until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean, 35-30 minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into 16 squares.
If you have a blender, you can use it to make these brownies. Add eggs, oil, and vanilla to blender and pulse to mix. Add beans and blend until pureed and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula once or twice. Add sugar or cocoa. Blend until mixed, about 1 minute. If using, add chips or nuts and pulse once or twice to mix. Pour batter into baking dish. Bake as directed in step 4.