Carter Strange Speaks About Five Points Assault

8:23 PM, Jun 28, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - If there was ever anyone who could see the good in a bad situation, it's 18-year-old Carter Strange.

"Make sure you're hanging out with the right people," said Strange. "Be aware of your surroundings."

On June 20th, Strange was brutally attacked by a group of eight teenagers as he was walking home in Columbia's Five Points.

"The last thing I remember is going down Blossom Street and according to what police say they saw on the video, is I stopped to text and these guys just came up behind me. I don't remember anything after that."

Hours later he was found in terrible condition.

Strange explains he had, "a cracked skull and I had some hemorrhaging, so they had to do an emergency surgery on that."

He also had reconstructive surgery on his nose and has several broken bones around his eyes.

"I was lucky. They say I was very lucky that I survived let alone didn't have any brain damage at all. The main thing that I could think about was my friends and my family are all I really have. And all I could think about was what if I wouldn't have made it? What about all the people I wouldn't have been able to say goodbye to."

Strange may have been beaten, but he is not defeated.

"Now that I'm better, all I'm worried about is getting this out there and making sure it doesn't happen to anyone else...I would hate for anyone and their parents to have to go through this."

Strange has a message for parents.

"If you don't know where your kids are, you obviously don't know what they're doing. So make sure you know where your kids are."

Eight suspects were arrested in connection with his attack, and seven of the suspects were juveniles. In response to the assault, Columbia City Council passed an emergency juvenile curfew, which prohibits anyone under 16 from being in Five Points between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. for the next 60 days.

Most Watched Videos