Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- Every Monday on News19, Nat Roers shares easy fixes for common household problems.
****Please consult a physician before trying any at-home remedy. If you're showing signs of a severe allergic reaction seek medical help immediately.****
Unlike many other ants, fire ants bite and sting you by injecting a toxic alkaloid venom called solenopsin. This contains a compound with a high pH, so you want to apply something with a low pH to neutralize the toxins in your skin.
Here are some home remedies you can use to take the burn out of fire ant bites and stings:
-Mix baking soda and vinegar to make a thick paste.
-Put toothpaste on the bites. The active ingredients in toothpaste can neutralize the acid.
-The alkaline nature of deodorant makes it a great home remedy for insect bites. The solid variety, rather than a gel or spray, should be used for this purpose.
Hope these help you out this summer! Remember if you have a great home fix that you want us to demo on the show- send us an email or post it on facebook. We'll be sure to give you credit!