LUGOFF (WLTX) On Monday June 18, 2012 around noon the Lugoff Fire Department responded to the Lynwood apartment complex off Frenwood Lane in Lugoff for a possible fire inside an apartment.
Engine 10 and Ladder 10 responded to the incident. Once units arrived on the scene, light smoke was discovered coming from one apartment on the ground floor.
Firefighters entered the apartment and found very heavy smoke down to the floor in the rooms. Firefighters located the fire inside the kitchen and were able to extinguish the flames quickly before they spread throughout the apartment.
The fire was under control within 6 minutes after arrival; after which crews began to check for hidden fire and fire extension.
"I am very satisfied with how fast our crews got to the actual area of the fire and stopped it from spreading. These are older apartments without fire sprinkler systems; therefore, quick notification and rapid extinguishment is vital for the life safety of our crews and other occupants of the building. There has been an increase statewide of fires in non-sprinklered apartments with major fire losses. We are thankful for this one with minor damage" Lugoff Fire Chief Dennis Ray stated.
When crews entered the apartment above the one that had caught fire, they were checking to see if any of the fire had spread, the Shift Captain noticed a young American Alligator being held in a large aquarium in addition to a large snake.
After speaking to the occupant, firefighters notified the SC Department of Natural Resources who responded to the scene and took possession of the gator.
Law prohibits American Alligators and other game animals from being held captive in this manner.
Firefighters from Pine Grove, Doby's Mill, and Blaney responded to assist Lugoff Firefighters with the fire.
The damage to the apartment was limited to the kitchen area above the stove that included the hood and overhead cabinets and minor smoke damage throughout.
The occupant was allowed to remain inside the apartment after crews left the scene.
The cause of the fire was a pot left on the stove unattended. No one was injured.