Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- Budget vetoes from Governor Nikki Haley have left some locked out of their offices and others facing the possibility of similar fates.
Now, agencies, groups and even lawmakers are gearing up to fight the governor's vetoes.
"It would have such a dramatic effect that it would make it difficult for programs to stay open," said Pamela Jacobs, Executive Director of the South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, or SCCADVASA.
She say 15 rape crisis centers across the state could have to reduce their services or even close their doors if they lose the $453,680 vetoed by Haley.
Jacobs says they've lost 54 percent of their funding from the state through the state health department in the last four years, and Governor Haley's latest veto would take away another 37 percent from the centers.
Haley acknowledged SCCADVASA and other groups deserved sympathy and encouragement, but said they support a small portion of the sick or abused in South Carolina.
In her message to lawmakers Haley called the funding and other similar projects earmarks that created a distraction from the mission of DHEC.
"Although the governor says that this is not a public health issue it absolutely is. We know that sexual assault increases the rate of sexually transmitted diseases, depression drug and alcohol use, teen pregnancy, increases the risk of suicide," said Jacobs.
She says rape crisis centers throughout South Carolina serve more than 5,000 victims a year, with half under the age of 18, and one quarter under the age of 11.
She says the palmetto state has surpassed the national average in the rate of sexual assault since 1982 and she's worried a drop in funding could make those statistics even worse.
"If we don't have the funding to serve them, then the rates are going to get higher and it's going to impact every area of our state, public health, the economy, everything ," she said.
Still, she's hopeful that lawmakers will reverse Haley's decision.
"We're confident they'll do the right thing," she said.
Haley has also vetoed money that funds the South Carolina Arts Commission.
Ken May, the commission's director says the move has left the agency with closed doors, and about 20 employees not at work.
He also worries his staff will miss out on the three percent raise for state employees while they're left in limbo.
"There's a real question if our staff will be paid or in essence lose the three percent raise the state has given us after several years with no raises because the time we'll be out is approximately equal to three percent of our salaries," said May.
Haley says supporting the arts and the commission are two different things. In her veto message Haley said the agency has significant administrative costs, saying 30 percent of funds to administration, personnel and operating expenses.
"Who would donate to a charity that spent that much money on overhead?" wrote Haley in the message. She also says the agency isn't a core function of government.
But May, who says he was never contacted by the Haley or her staff, say that's not the case.
According to May, the commission has to use 70 percent of its state appropriated funding for grants, but that doesn't mean the other 30 percent goes to administrative costs.
He says the rest of the money goes to things like programming, and technical support to educators and artist.
"It's a misinterpretation at best of what our budget is and what we do," said May.
Democratic lawmakers and candidates held a news conference to protest Haley's vetoes of the Arts Commission and non-recurring funding for teacher pay raises.
The lawmakers said Haley should have worked with the general assembly to assess the arts commission if she wanted to get rid of it instead of defending the agency.
They also said criticized her decision to veto the non-recurring $10.1 million for teacher pay raises, and not changing a budget provisos as well. They say that leaves local districts having to raise taxes or make other cuts to fund the raises.
"Have a better understanding of how this process works, be a little bit more responsible, and try to be a stateswoman and work with the general assembly on these issues, by simply just axing them out with her veto pen she has created havoc in school districts across the state she has created havoc in the arts community across the state, the people of south carolina deserve better," said Richland County Senator Joel Lourie.
He says he believes there will be more than enough support to override some of Governor Haley's key vetoes next week.
House Members will return Tuesday, and Senator on Wednesday to address Haley's vetoes.