Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- A seven-year old boy from Columbia saved his family from a potentially deadly house fire on Ferrell Drive Tuesday evening.
Brick Lewis, Public Information Officer for the Columbia-Richland Fire Department, said De'Marion Dewyer was outside of his home when he saw flames coming from inside the house.
According to Lewis, Dewyer ran back inside and told his family members to get out because their home was on fire. Everyone made it out safely.
Officials determined the fire was caused by an electrical short in a portable fan that was located on the porch. There are approximately $30,000 dollars worth of damages to the home.
The Red Cross is aiding in temporary living arrangements for the family.