Sumter, SC (WLTX) - The sisters of a boy who died from an amoeba have been released from the hospital.
A Facebook post says 11-year-old Marybeth Dooley and 17-year-old Heather Dooley of Sumter have been treated and released.
Their brother, 8-year-old Blake Driggers, died last Tuesday. Previous Coverage: Blake Driggers Dies from Rare Amoeba | Grandmother of Blake Driggers Speaks About His Death
Family members say Blake complained of not feeling well after swimming in Lake Marion. He got a high fever and was taken to Tuomey Regional Hospital in Sumter. Doctors there decided to transport back to Palmetto Children's Hospital, where he later died.
White says his family was told that the amoeba entered through the boy's nose.
The sisters were hospitalized as a precaution.
Amoebas, which are single-celled organisms, enter through the nasal cavity and cause severe infections in the brain. They are most commonly found in warm freshwater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and therefore are more active in the summer.