Elgin, SC (WLTX) -- Nine Verizon Wireless employees have been arrested on tax evasion charges, the Department of Revenue says.
Eight of the people charged work at the Verizon Wireless call center in Elgin. The call center operates under the parent name of the corporation, Cellco.
The other arrest was a Verizon employee who works in the Charleston area.
A spokesperson with the Department of Revenue tells News19 that the people arrested filed W4 forms with their employer claiming to be exempt from taxes and also failed to file tax returns for several years.
The Department of Revenue says more arrests could be on the way.
The following are the people who are currently facing charges:
• Meioki Figueroa, Columbia; five (5) counts; $27,898 of tax evaded
• Hugh Coleman, Columbia; seven (7) counts; $20,255 of tax evaded
• Denise Tyler, Columbia; four (4) counts; $17,684 of tax evaded
• William Edwards, Columbia; five (5) counts; $16,674 of tax evaded
• Lisa Jenkins, Columbia; seven (7) counts: $14,999 of tax evaded
• Cassandra Johnson, Columbia; eight (8) counts; $13,635 of tax evaded
• Thomas Smith, Columbia; five (5) counts; $12,674 of tax evaded
• Victoria Cooper-Hilliard, Goose Creek; six (6) counts; $12,419 of tax evaded (works in Charleston)
• Rebecca Mulinix, Columbia; seven (7) counts; $11,768 of tax evaded