Smoking Laundry Sends Firefighters to Gov's Mansion

10:55 AM, May 3, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
The South Carolina Governor's Mansion (File photo)

Columbia, SC (WLTX, AP) - Smoke coming from the laundry area of the South Carolina Governor's Mansion caused Columbia firefighters to respond to the complex Friday morning.

A Bureau of Protective Services officer noticed smoke coming from a basement window about 7:45 a.m. during a routine patrol.

The governor and her children were evacuated and were not hurt.

When firefighters arrived, they determined that towels overheating in the dryer was the cause of the problem.

No serious damage was reported. Crews ventilated the basement and then left the scene.



Most Watched Videos