Laurie Aker from Earth Fare has prepared these two simple summer snack recipes:
Recipe 1: "Zu-Canoe" Pasta Salad
• 2 medium 2-inch-wide zucchini
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 3 tablespoons shredded carrot
• 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
• 1/2 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
• 2 cups cooked pasta/noodles
• Tip: sub olive oil and vinegar with 1/3 cup organic Italian dressing for easy prep.
1. Trim both ends off zucchini; cut in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the backs so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Finely chop the pulp; set aside.
2. Place the zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on High until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large skillet or pot.)
3. Whisk oil, vinegar, (or Italian dressing), with the remaining salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, carrots, cheese, basil, cooked pasta and the reserved zucchini pulp; toss to combine. Divide the filling among the zu-Canoes. Serve chilled, enjoy!
Recipe 2: "Summer Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Crisps"
• 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
• 1 medium navel orange, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 medium kiwifruit, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained OR 3 slices fresh pineapple, chopped
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons honey
• Sprig of fresh mint
• CINNAMON CHIPS:
• 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/3 cup all-natural cane sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1.In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
2.For chips, brush tortillas with butter; cut each into eight wedges. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over tortillas. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
3.Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or just until crisp. Serve with chilled fruit salsa, enjoy!