UPATE TO ADD STORES:
Supermarket chains Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo are recalling some ground beef because of the risk that the meat has been contaminated with E. coli.
The chains announced the recall Thursday as part of a larger ground beef recall issued by the National Beef Packing Company.
E. coli can cause diarrhea, dehydration and potentially kidney failure.
Winn-Dixie is immediately recalling the affected Fresh 93 Percent Lean Ground Beef from all stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi. The product was shipped to stores around July 18.
Bi-Lo is recalling the same product from its shelves in all stores in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Neither has received reports of any related illnesses.
Consumers can bring the product to the store for a refund.
WASHINGTON, July 31, 2013 - National Beef Packing Company, is recalling approximately 50,100 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The following products are subject to recall:
- 10 lb. chub of "National Beef" 93/ 7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 0707
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureSource" 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck, Product Code 7031
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureSource" 85/15 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7054
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureSource" 90/10 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7344
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureSource" 93/ 7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7004
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureWell 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck, Product Code 7484
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureWell" 85/15 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7454
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureWell" 90/10 Fine Ground Sirloin, Product Code 7577
- 10 lb. chub of "NatureWell" 93/7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7404
All these products bear the establishment number "EST. 208A" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
The products were produced on July 18, 2013 and were shipped in 40 to 60 pound cases to retailers, wholesalers, and food service distributors nationwide.