Columbia, SC (WLTX) - New surveillance video shows the moment a gas line ignited in downtown Columbia Wednesday.
The footage was released Thursday afternoon after multiple media outlets requested it. Previous Coverage: Fire Sparks at Gas Leak in Columbia
Wednesday afternoon, a crew working at the intersection of Sumter and Richland Streets ruptured a gas line. Hours later, an SCE&G crew was using a track hoe to repair the line when something sparked, causing the gas to ignite.
In the video, you can see two employees who were working on the line quickly get away from the fire. Seconds later, Columbia firefighters begin dousing the area with water.
No one was hurt.
People who had been working in businesses in the area had already been evacuated when the flames started. Crews turned off the gas, and it then took about an hour for the fire to die out.