Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The Columbia Fire Department says a resident smoking while on oxygen caused an apartment fire in downtown Columbia Sunday night.
Authorities say one person was taken to the hospital and dozens were evacuated.
The Columbia Fire Department says the fire started around 9:30 on the second floor of the Marion Street High Rise, an apartment complex that is primarily occupied by elderly residents.
Authorities say the situation was under control in 15 minutes. Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says when the smoke didn't go above the four floor.
The Columbia Fire Department says all of the residents were allowed back in their apartments.