Richland County, SC (WLTX) - Richland County deputies say a suspect wanted in a string of crimes is now facing three counts of attempted murder for trying to run over officers with a car.
Sheriff Leon Lott updated the investigation into 22-year-old Keylan Jambari Durham Monday afternoon at a news conference.
According Lott, Durham was involved in a string of robberies and carjackings over a period of several days earlier this month, sometimes using other suspects to help in the crimes.
"This young man has just been going crazy," Lott said.
Below is the string of events and crimes Lott believes Durham has been involved in:
- August 2nd, robbery at a Richland County nightclub: Lott says a victim man was robbed by two suspects outside a nightclub, and the man's car and a cell phone were taken from him
- August 3rd vehicle theft at a Richland County Waffle House: Lott says a victim left his black Chevrolet Camaro running while he went inside the restaurant to use the restroom, and while he was inside, the vehicle was stolen
- August 4th, carjacking at an In-Town Suites in Richland County: a man and woman in a blue Oldsmobile were attacked as they sat in their vehicle. Lott says the suspect beat the male victim with a pistol, then attempted to drive off with the female victim inside. She was able to the get out of the car before the suspect drove away. Investigators say the suspect was dropped off at the scene in the Camaro taken a few days earlier.
- August 4th, theft at Harbison at Walmart: A few hours later, deputies say someone tried to use a stolen credit card at the Walmart, but the card was declined. Lott says the suspect ran out of the store with the merchandise.
- August 4th: Paces Brook complex on Harbison: Columbia police had a call of two people with a gun outside the apartments. When Officers arrived, they saw the Camaro, and the vehicle pulled off. Officers pursued it until Monticello Road, when the suspects jumped out of the car. Lott says Durham got away, but officers arrested 21-year-old Devontae Xavier Bryant at the scene.
Finally, on August 6th, fugitive investigators from Richland County, Columbia Police, and SLED got a tip that Durham would be at the Brook Pines Apartment complex. When they went to arrest him, Lott says the suspect tried to run over the officer, hitting one of them in the arm. The officers responded by shooting at the vehicle.
Durham and another man inside, identified as 22-year-old Quentin Warner, were injured and taken to the hospital. (Durham has since been released; Warner remains hospitalized.) Lott says Warner was out on probation for a burglary charge in Georgia, and officers are working to have his probation revoked.
Lott says in addition to all of these crimes, he also said Durham was arrested on a burglary charge on July 21st.
"I think the community needs to understand just how violent these people are that we've got in our community and when these officers go out to make these arrests, they're going to be met by all kinds of resistance," Lott said. "They're gonna run, they're going to do everything they can to get away, and if that means taking a police officer's life, they're going to do that."