Sumter, SC (WLTX) -- The result of a year-long heroin investigation conducted jointly between the Sumter Police Department, the Sheriff Departments of both Sumter and Orangeburg, Homeland Security, the D.E.A., and Probation and Parole, has netted fourteen suspects arrested, and five more still sought.
In the spring of 2013, investigators with Sumter P.D. initiated the joint effort after receiving an increasing number of complaints related to heroin use in the county.
Along with the arrests, investigators seized 11 grams of crack cocaine, 27 grams of cocaine, 7 grams of heroin, 15 grams of marijuana, and $9,877 in cash.
Sumter P.D.'s Organized Crime and Vice Control unit reports that the use of heroin locally has been on the rise.
Suspects were arrested in November of 2013, and April 1st of this year, and are currently held in the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center.
- Lyndon Obrian Allen, 31 (DOB: 3/8/83), of 16 Lynam Road, Sumter. He is charged with two counts distribution of heroin, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine, trafficking cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of a Schedule 3 controlled substance, possession with intent to distribute heroin, manufacturing of crack cocaine, violation of S.C. gun law and felon in possession of a weapon during a violent crime. Officers said $3,877 was confiscated during his arrest.
- Bernard Leon Witherspoon, 21 (DOB: 5/9/92), of 5755 Cane Savannah Road, Wedgefield. He is charged with distribution of heroin, trafficking heroin, two counts of conspiracy to distribute heroin. Reports indicate $6,020 and rounds of ammunition also were found during his arrest.
- Jennifer Teresa McCauley, 29 (DOB: 2/10/85), of 2691 Truefield Road, Sumter. She is charged with distribution of heroin and violation of S.C. gun law.
- Latonya Benjamin, 30 (DOB: 4/21/83) of 4810 Chanson Lane, Sumter. She is charged with conspiracy to distribute heroin, possession of cocaine, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine.
- Frederick Benjamin, 34 (DOB: 7/11/79), of 4810 Chanson Lane, Sumter, two counts conspiracy to distribute heroin, distribution of heroin, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine and possession of cocaine.
- Bennie Haynesworth, 33 (DOB: 12/2/80), of 130 Curtiswood St., possession with intent to distribute cocaine and possession of marijuana-2nd offense
- Quinton Hardy, 31 (DOB: 4/28/82), of 305 High St., Sumter, two counts distribution of heroin
- Keishawn Brown, 34 (DOB: 11/12/79), of 994 Huddersfield Drive, Sumter, two counts trafficking heroin and four counts distribution of heroin
- Maurice Lowery, 40 (DOB: 5/10/73), of 35 Highland Ave., Sumter, two counts distribution of heroin, possession of heroin and trafficking heroin
- Julia Garrison, 28 (DOB: 2/9/86), of 1090 N. Guignard Drive, Apt. 2, Sumter, conspiracy to distribute heroin
- Joseph Vipperman, 29 (DOB: 12/29/84) of 2290 Waterwheel Drive, Sumter, possession of heroin
The five suspects investigators are still searching for:
- Jeffery Dewayne Sanders, 28 (DOB:6/27/85), 6 foot 1 inch tall, weighing 220 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
- Sherman Desmond Coleman, 32 (DOB: 4/22/81), 6 feet tall, weighing 135 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
- Travies Auntwan Isaac Gray, 23 (DOB: 8/8/90), 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 150 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
- Tony Bell, 30 (DOB: 2/15/84), 5 foot 9 inches tall, weighing 165 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
- Stanley Jerome Pinckney, 24 (DOB: 6/30/89), 5 foot 7 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
If you know the whereabouts of any of these suspects, you are asked to contact Midlands CrimeStoppers at 888-CRIME-SC (888-274-6378.) You can also text a tip into CRIMESTOPPERS by sending TIPSC plus your tip information to CRIMES (274637.) All tips leading to an arrest can earn a cash reward of up to $1,000.