Lexington County, SC (WLTX) - Black Friday shopping is right around the corner. While you may have already mapped out where you want to go and what gifts you want to buy, News 19 wants to make sure that you're safe when you're out.
So, we talked to the Lexington County Sheriff's Department, who provided these tips for shoppers:
- Keep track of your bags and other packages. If you leave something behind, it could get stolen or discarded.
- Tell a security guard or store employee if you see an unattended bag or package.
- Be sure not to buy more than you can carry. If your packages are making it hard for you to walk or see, ask a store employee to help you carry them to your car.
- Check receipts to see whether your full credit card number appears. If a receipt has your full number on it, take a pen and scratch it out.
- Double-check that you have your credit cards and wallet or purse after you pay for your items.
When it comes to protecting credit card information, LCSD suggests that you keep a close watch on your credit card every time you use it.
"Only produce your card when you're in line and ready to pay," says Capitan Hampton Taylor. "Have it ready. Everyone is trying to get through the line quickly, but produce it only when you're up to pay."
Other tips for credit card safety include:
- Keep a close watch on your credit card every time you use it. Get it back as quickly as possible.
- Never leave your credit cards or receipts lying around.
- Shield your credit card number so that others around you can't copy it or shoot a picture of it with a smartphone or other camera.
© 2017 WLTX-TV