Bobby Harrell: AG Removes Himself from Investigation

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - Attorneys for House Speaker Bobby Harrell say he is no longer the focus of the state grand jury investigation after they say Attorney General Alan Wilson removed himself from the case.

This comes after the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that Wilson had authority to pursue his Grand Jury investigation of possible criminal wrongdoing involving Harrell.

Previous Coverage: SC High Court: Harrell Investigation Can Continue

Wilson's office declined to comment stating, "We are unable to comment because the Supreme Court order directs that we are not to disclose these matters."

The Press Release from the Speaker Bobby's Harrell's office is below:

AG Removes Himself From the Case;

Grand Jury Investigation Ended

(Columbia, SC) – Just days after the S.C. State Supreme Court ruled that Attorney General Alan Wilson had the authority to pursue his Grand Jury investigation of a citizen ethics complaint made against House Speaker Bobby Harrell, Wilson removed himself from the case and the Grand Jury investigation was ended. In removing himself from the case, Wilson passed responsibility for any future dealings on the matter along to a Solicitor of his choosing. While these actions took place more than a month ago, no public notice was issued and the Attorney General's Office only recently notified Speaker Harrell's attorneys about these developments.

Speaker Harrell issued the following statement on these developments that took place more than a month ago but only recently were brought to light:

"My attorneys recently were informed that I am no longer the subject of a state Grand Jury investigation. The state Grand Jury expired June 30th and there is no longer any state Grand Jury investigation of me.

"It has also been confirmed to us that the Attorney General has removed himself from my case and appointed Solicitor David Pascoe to handle it. The Attorney General made the decision to take these actions without any consultation or communication with my attorneys or me.

"It is important for everyone to understand that we did not know about these events until about a month after they occurred. The Attorney General's office notified us of his decisions on July 29th during a call between my attorney and a representative of the Attorney General.

"I have said from the beginning that I violated no law and have only sought an independent prosecutor free of political motives and influence. I hope these events accomplish that."

# # #


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment