'The good Lord did a good job of waking me up' | Man saves family from fire

COLUMBIA, SC (WLTX) - A house fire in southeast Columbia has left a family of nine without without a home, according to the Columbia Fire Department.

Crews responded to a house fire in the 1700 block of Pincushion Road sometime before 9 a.m. Tuesday, where they say a heavy fire at the home. About an hour and a half later, officials reported the fire had been extinguished.

After awaking to heavy smoke and flames, one of the men in the home says he was able to warn the rest of the family and get everyone out of the home safely. 

Brandon Brown said he saw the fire break out in the kitchen, and spread quickly. He said many in the house were asleep, but luckily, he wasn't.

"The good Lord did a good job waking me up, because in about two more minutes we all would have been dead in that house," Brown said. 

While the family of nine - seven adults and two children - escaped without injury, the home and a vehicle are a complete loss, according to the Columbia Fire Department.

Officials say they believe the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. 

The Red Cross has been assisting the family.

 

 

© 2017 WLTX-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment