COLUMBIA, SC (WLTX) - The Columbia Police Department is collecting donations for its annual Fan the Heat program, which assists senior citizens and other citizens in need during the brutal heat of summer in South Carolina.
Since its beginning in 1995, the Fan the Heat program has assisted more than 7,000 Columbia citizens. The program is primarily designed for senior citizens, however, exceptions are made for residents with medical concerns/disabilities and families with young children.
Fans and air conditioning units (preferably new) will be collected at the following locations through Thursday, August 31, 2017 for the summer's program:
- CPD Headquarters - 1 Justice Square, Columbia, SC 29201
- East Region - 446 Spears Creek Church Road, Elgin, SC 29045
- Metro Region - 1600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201
- North Region - 3905 Ensor Avenue, Columbia, SC 29203
- South Region - 2132 Devine Street, Columbia, SC 29205
- West Region - 690 Club Road, Columbia, SC 29212
Air conditioning units are of greater need than fans this year, according to the Columbia Police.
Financial contributions are also welcome. Make checks payable to The Columbia Police Foundation, and please note 'Fan the Heat program' on the memo line.
- Citizens must be 55 years-old or older.
- Citizens must provide name, address, telephone number (to ensure that the fan or air conditioner is delivered to the correct address)
- Individuals with respiratory problems or a major illness can bring in a doctor’s statement regardless of age to receive assistance.
- Families with young children.
© 2017 WLTX-TV