Lexington, SC (WLTX) - The County of Lexington has opened up a shelter at White Knoll High School for evacuees coming to the area due to Hurricane Matthew.
The county says it is the first of several shelters that are expected to open up.
White Knoll High School is located at 5643 Platt Springs Road, Lexington, SC 29073 and has a maximum capacity of 2,602 occupants. The shelter is scheduled to open at 3 p.m. for evacuees only and will be staffed by Red Cross volunteers and Department of Social Services employees. The shelter will be able to provide food.
For those that cannot find hotel lodging in the Midlands, we recommend visiting www.airbnb.com to find appropriate lodging offered by Midlands residents, as mentioned by Gov. Nikki Haley during her Wednesday morning address to the state.
In accordance with Red Cross shelter guidelines, there will be no animals allowed inside of the shelter.
Individuals and families should plan to board pets with veterinarians, kennels, or other facilities in non-vulnerable areas. Identification and rabies tags should be attached to the pets’ collars.
The following Lexington area hotels offer pet-friendly lodging:
• Quality Inn & Suites (328 W. Main St., US Hwy. 1 & 378, Lexington, SC 29072)
• Rodeway Inn Airport (500 Chris Dr, West Columbia, SC 29169)
• Red Roof Inn (10 Berryhill Rd, Columbia, SC 29210)
• Comfort Inn (911 Bush River Rd, Columbia, SC 29210)
• Hyatt Place Columbia/Harbison (1130 Kinley Road, Irmo, SC 29063)
• Quality Inn Harbison (499 Piney Grove Road, Columbia, SC 29210)
• Quality Inn (2516 Augusta Road, West Columbia, SC 29169)
• Doubletree by Hilton (2100 Bush River Road, Columbia,SC 29210
• Extended Stay America (450 Gracern Road, Columbia, SC 29210)