'Live PD' Suspect Gets $100,000 Bond

Bond was set at $100,000 for the suspect accused of taking his daughter on a high-speed chase in Columbia.

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The suspect who deputies say led them on a high-speed chase with his two-year-old daughter in the vehicle has had his bond set at $100,000.

Bryan Allan Martin, 22, was in court at the Richland County jail Sunday afternoon for his first appearance since his arrest Saturday night. In addition to the $100,000 bond on the main charges, he also faces nearly $3,000 in other bonds for lesser offenses. 

Among the charges he's facing are ones for child endangerment and reckless driving. 

Richland County deputies said Sunday morning that the girl suffered no serious injuries. 

The dramatic incident was captured on TV by a crew from "Live PD," the A&E program that follows around members of the Richland County Sheriff's Department while they're on patrol on Friday and Saturday nights.

Deputies say the incident began with a call of a fight at a house party on Pelican Road. Officers say when they got to the scene, Martin drove away.

The pursuit started down Monticello Road then continued onto North Main and Elmore, with Martin's vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed. The van eventually crashed and flipped over at Elmore.

The video taken by the "Live PD" production crew shows what happened next. The man identified as Martin gets out of the car while holding his  daughter in his arms. Richland County Deputy Chris Mastrianni, who had responded to the scene, attempts to detain the main, and the two get into a struggle, with Martin continuing to hold the child in one arm while trying to hold off Mastrianni with the other.

Eventually the girl was put down, the two continued their struggle, but Mastrianni was able to restrain the man and take him into custody.

The girl was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but didn't suffer any injuries, and was taken home by a family member.

Within moments of the airing, there was an emotional outpouring from the public who were surprised at what they'd just witnessed.

On Sunday afternoon, Mastrianni tweeted the following: "Thank you to everyone that has reached out to me with so much love and support about last night. It was a long night and everyone is safe."


© 2018 WLTX-TV


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment