Space Heater Likely to Blame for Fire That Destroyed Home

Fire officials say the device was plugged into an extension cord, which isn't what you're supposed to do.

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - A space heater appears to be to blame for a house fire that destroyed a Columbia home.

The fire happened on Ridgewood Avenue, which is off Monticello Road. 

We're told the family left their home only for a short while, and when they returned, their home was on fire.

Fire officials say the home is a total loss.

Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said everyone should turn off their space heaters when they leave their homes, even for a short amount of time. Jenkins said the fire was started because the space heater was plugged into an extension chord.. 

He adds that if you are going to use a space heater, you must plug it into the wall directly, and always unplug it when you leave the house.

The American Red Cross is helping the family have a temporary place to live. 

© 2018 WLTX-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment