Sumter House Fire Kills Disabled Man, Displaces 6

A house fire killed a disabled man on Sunday morning in Sumter. News19's Lana Harris reports.

SUMTER, SC (WLTX) - A house fire in Sumter has left one disabled man dead and six others without a home, according to the Sumter Fire Department.

Battalion Chief Joey Duggan says they were called to a fire at a double-wide mobile home on Lincoln Avenue in Sumter at 6:46 a.m. Sunday morning. Of the seven people living at the house, ranging in age from 70-years-old to 9-year-sold, six were able to escape says Duggan.

A single-leg amputee was not able to escape and died as a result of the fire, according to Duggan. Willard Pack, 67, was pronounced dead at 8:10 am at the scene, according to Sumter County coroner Robert Baker. An autopsy will be in Newberry, says Baker.

One other resident was transported to the hospital to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation, officials say. 

Duggan says the cause of the fire was electrical, and stemmed from an extension cord in Pack's room. 

Pack's family says they did everything they could to get to him, and are devastated by his loss. Red Cross will be assisting the family.

© 2017 WLTX-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment