Teens Credited with Saving Family from Fire

Orangeburg, SC (WLTX) - Two Orangeburg teenagers are being called heroes after they saved some of their relatives from a house fire Wednesday.

The blaze happened at a home on Nance Street.

A group of children were inside the home watching the movie "Despicable Me" on television when a spark came out of one of the electrical outlets. The spark caught one of the beds on fire, and within moments, much of the room was engulfed in flames.

Jaylen Jones, 13, and Dejean Harrison, 14, knew what to do, because they say they'd learned it in school.

"Just get out of the house and call 9-1-1" Harrison said.

The two helped a two-year-old, a four-year-old, and a nine-year-old get out of the home quickly. Thanks to their efforts, no one was hurt.

"You can bring back all this stuff but you can't bring back humans," Jones said. "A human life is more important than material stuff."

While no injuries were sustained, the house is considered a complete loss. The homeowner tells News19 the home had just been paid off last March.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment