'Intentional' NYC Blast Injures More Than Two Dozen

Authorities here have found an explosive device near the site of a Saturday night blast that injured more than two dozen people in the Chelsea neighborhood.

At a news conference before the discovery of a second device, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the explosion injured at least 29 people but that there was no specific terrorist threat.

A device believed to be a pressure cooker has been found on 27th street, four blocks from the initial blast, and is under investigation, according to New York Police Department.

However early indications were that the attack was intentional, de Blasio said.

"We believe at this point in time this was an intentional act. I want to assure all New Yorkers that the NYPD and ... agencies are at full alert," he said.

There was no sign that the explosion was caused by a natural gas explosion, New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill said at the press conference.

Based on what is currently known, there was also no connection to the incident earlier Saturday in Seaside Heights, N.J., where a pipe bomb exploded near a Marine charity run, de Blasio said. In that instance the device was placed in a garbage can. No injuries were reported.

Klaas Claes, co-owner of BXL Zoute, a Belgian restaurant on W. 22nd Steet near the blast scene, said the explosion sounded like the rear gate slamming on a large dump truck, "only ten times louder."

"You could feel it in your body, it was very powerful'" said Claes.

He and some restaurant customers ran outside, but saw no immediate signs of fire or smoke, Claes said.

Police and fire department responders arrived at the scene moments later, he said.

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer said the Chelsea explosion was not in a dumpster but next to one in the street.

NYPD spokesman Peter Donald said authorities were also investigating whether a second device had been found near site of earlier explosion. Police asked residents to avoid the area around 27th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues.

Blast at 8:30 pm

The explosion came just after 8:30 p.m. ET at 133 W. 23rd St., between Sixth and Seventh Avenues. None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening, the New York City Fire Department said.

The cause of the explosion has not been determined. "The investigation is active and at this time an extensive search is being conducted,” New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill said at the press conference.

"The area around the explosion site is being treated as a crime scene," O'Neill said.

Several injured were transported to area hospitals, assistant commissioner for communication with the New York City Police Department J. Peter Donald tweeted.

The explosion area occurred a block away from Eataly, a popular Italian market and eatery. The neighborhood has many late-night and after-hours music clubs. At 11 p.m., New York police and news helicopters hovered over the scene beneath a full harvest moon.

The New York Police Counter-Terrorism unit responded to the blast and transit service in the area was shut down, according to the New York Fire Department.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment