J. Christopher Stevens, U.S. Ambassador to Libya, who was killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, eastern Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012. (State Department)
By David Jackson, USA TODAY
New evidence Thursday suggesting that last week's attack on the Libya consulate was a planned terrorist attack.
CNN, citing an unnamed source, reported that slain U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens had "worried about what he called the never-ending security threats in Benghazi and mentioned his name was on an al Qaeda hit list."
As U.S. officials continue to investigate the deaths of Stevens and three other Americans, National Counterterrorism Center director Matthew Olsen told a Senate hearing: "I would say, yes, they were killed in course of terrorist attack on our embassy."
U.S. officials initially attributed the death to protests over an anti-Islam that got out of control.
Aides to President Obama said the attack remains under investigation, including the state of security at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
President Obama "is concerned that violent actions were taken that led to the deaths of four Americans," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.
"He is absolutely concerned that we take the necessary measures to make sure that those who killed Americans are brought to justice," Carney said. "And he has been focused from the beginning on ensuring that adequate security reinforcements be brought to bear at embassies and consulates and diplomatic facilities where that's deemed necessary."