Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- SAFE KIDS Midlands and Palmetto Health Children's Hospital will offer free swimming lessons in April as part of Operation Safer Swim.
Lessons and safety tips will be taught by The Swim Lessons Company from 3:00pm-5:00pm on Saturday, April 10 at The Palmetto Athletic Center in Lexington and on Saturday, April 17 at Chesterbrook Academy in Northeast Columbia.
Operation Safer Swim's goal is to educate families about water safety and the importance of learning to swim. No other accident claims more lives each year than accidental drowning for children under the age of five. Palmetto Health and The Swim Lessons Company remind parents of "Seven Rules to Remember:"
1. NEVER leave your infant or toddlers unattended in a bathtub.
2. CONTINUE swimming lessons with a qualified instructor until your child masters the formal strokes. Underwater swimming is not enough!
3. WATCH your child with active, "eagle eye" supervision at all times when in or around the water.
4. UTILIZE the Water Watcher Tag system (Free tags will be distributed at the event.)
5. REQUIRE your child to wear a coast guard approved life jacket when boating, or even playing around lakes, rivers or other open water situations.
6. SECURE your residential pool with proper fencing, self-closing gates and latches and pool alarms.
7. LEARN CPR so you are qualified to respond in case of a life-threatening emergency.
Classes will be offered to children ages 6 months and up, but due to limited space appointments are required. To sign up, call (803) 296-KIDS.
Children under the age of three must wear a reusable swim diaper. Children should arrive wearing their swimsuits and should bring towels.