File photo (Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control has confirmed three cases of Vibrio cholera in people who had recently eaten raw shellfish.
DHEC is asking local health care providers to watch for people who become sick or show symptoms of Vibrio cholera. The agency is also notifying state restaurants of the potential for contaminated shellfish.
There is no evidence that the contaminated shellfish originated in the waters of South Carolina.
Symptoms of Vibrio cholera include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that begin from a few hours to up to five days after consumption of raw shellfish. The infection is usually mild or without symptoms, but can occasionally be severe. In severe cases, an infected person may experience profuse watery diarrhea and vomiting that can cause dehydration and shock.
Vibrio cholera is typically spread through food that is contaminated by the bacteria.
For more information on Vibrio cholerae, click here.