LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

BOONE, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina police are pointing to carbon monoxide poisoning as the likely reason for the recent death of an 11-year-old South Carolina boy and two other guests found dead in the same motel room almost two months earlier.

Boone police said Monday in a news release that emergency responders found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the room where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday. Police say a preliminary autopsy found the boy died from asphyxia, which happens when toxic gases cut off oxygen to the body.

Jeffrey's 49-year-old mother, Jeannie Williams, was rushed to a hospital and survived.

A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room April 16. Police said new toxicology results show 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Read or Share this story: http://on.wltx.com/1oiGWsN