Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- Columbia Fire officials say $20,000 in damage was done to the Department's headquarters at 1800 Laurel Street after a fire broke out in the station's kitchen Monday.

The fire broke out around 6:30 PM. A woman who works in the building was leaving for the day, saw the smoke and called 911.

The station's crews were out responding to multiple calls they received in the height of afternoon storms and in a rush to get out to others, a pot was left cooking on the stove.

The sprinkler system set off an alarm in the building. The sprinklerskept the fire under controluntil crews could get back to the station to extinguish the fire.

Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says, "This is a safety lesson to everyone that a fire can happen to anyone."

"This one happened in the crew's rush to get out the door to help others."

No one was hurt or displaced as a result of the incident.

Read or Share this story: