LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A 12-year-old Arkansas girl who has been battling a rare and often-fatal infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba is now able to drink liquids and eat some food.
Kali Hardig was diagnosed last month with an infection caused by an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri.
Health officials say there were 128 reported infections in the United States between 1962 and 2012. Before Kali, doctors could only point to one known survivor in the U.S. and another in Mexico.
One of her doctors, Dr. Esther Tompkins, says Kali has been able to drink water and eat crackers and some other food.
Health officials believe Kali became sick after a trip to an Arkansas water park. The amoeba that caused her infection is often found in warm freshwater.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)