CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Piggly Wiggly is slimming down.
The family-owned Piggly Wiggly Carolina Co. based in Charleston has announced it is selling 29 of its stores in South Carolina and Georgia. Twenty-three are in South Carolina.
Twenty-two stores are being sold to Bi-Lo and the rest to Harris Teeter. Officials say none of the stores are expected to close.
Eleven of the stores are in the Charleston area where the chain is based. That will leave the company with about 10 in the Charleston area.
The company did not disclose sales prices.
It said that increasing competition in the grocery business was among the reasons for the sales.
Below is a list of South Carolina stores affected.
• 3386 Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, S.C.
• 50 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton, S.C.
• 445 Meeting Street, Charleston, S.C.
• 630 Skylark Drive, Charleston, S.C.
• 136 South Main Street, Clover, S.C.
• 4711-1 Forest Drive, Columbia, S.C.
• 104 Jungle Road, Edisto Beach, S.C.
• 3353 Highway 72/221 East, Greenwood, S.C.
• 3575 Maybank Highway, Johns Island, S.C.
• 9616 Highway 78, Ladson, S.C.
• 760 Highway 378, Lexington, S.C.
• 4360 Augusta Road, Lexington, S.C.
• 208 East McIntyre Street, Mullins, S.C.
• 115 Willbrook Boulevard, Pawleys Island, S.C.
• 518 North Wheeler Avenue, Prosperity, S.C.
• 615 Harry C Raysor Drive South, St Matthews, S.C.