712 53 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Killeen, TX (KVUE/KENS/WFAA)

Update at 8:10pm: CBS News has confirmed with law enforcement officials that there are four dead, including the shooter.

KENS 5 reports that CBS News sources have identified the Fort Hood shooter as 34-year-old Ivan Lopez, and the incident began as a dispute involving soldiers.

Earlier:

Fort Hood confirmed an "active shooter" on post late Wednesday afternoon.

The Associated Press received a report from a Senior Department of Defense Official saying one is dead and fourteen are injured.

According to CBS News, Law Enforcement sources report the Fort Hood shooter is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. A senior Pentagon officials tell CBS News the shooter was a soldier.

Fort Hood officials say the post's directorate of emergency services has received reports that the shooter is dead, but cannot yet confirm the reports.

However, the Associated Press, citing an internal Justice Department report, says the shooter is dead. It's unknown if there are any additional fatalities.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the president has been informed of the reports of a shooting at Fort Hood and will continue to receive updates as he attends a pair of Democratic Party fundraisers in Chicago.

News 19 sister station WFAA said that a Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter is over a gray Toyota Camry, suspected to be the shooter's vehicle on post.

Earlier Updates:

News 19's sister station KENS 5 says around 4:30PM Wednesday near the transportation motor pool, around 20 rounds were reportedly fired, but the shooter then went into the medical brigade building on-base, according to one soldier on post at Ft. Hood.

That soldier reported to KENS 5 that there seems to be some sort of standoff happening.

"Immediately heard four guns shots and assumed they were blank rounds," one soldier told KENS 5. "We then heard a burst, another burst, and it was clear they weren't blank rounds. They were live rounds."

The soldier also said he witnessed soldiers fleeing the transportation motor pool on foot, running toward a 7-foot-high barbed wire fence, and attempted to climb the fence to get away.

The soldier said he saw at least one person get hit.

Fort Hood's official Twitter account tweeted an alert: "All personnel on post are asked to shelter in place."

Waco police said emergency sirens were sounding on post, and personnel were being advised to stay away from windows and keep doors closed and locked.

Central Texas College, located in Killeen, is evacuating the school campus and cancelling the rest of the day's classes.

Sources say the FBI just sent out an alert a few days ago. Agents are concerned that a recent army recruit had planned to target U.S. soldiers. The FBI alert was sent out Friday for a recent Army recruit.

The alert said the soldier was planning a "Fort Hood-inspired jihad against U.S. soldiers." According to several news sources, the FBI was searching for a man identified as Booker, or Muhammad Abdullah Hassan, who had told friends of his "intention to commit jihad."

Booker was reportedly discharged last week after the army learned of his plans. According to reports, the FBI was still searching for Booker. It's unconfirmed if there is any connection with Wednesday's shooting.

In 2009 13 were killed and 31 wounded at Ft. Hood when Maj. Nidal Hasan launched an attack on unarmed soldiers at the base.

According to CNN, after the 2009 mass shootings, security upgrades were made at Fort Hood. Armed guards were posted at key locations, random container inspections were conducted, vehicles entering must display a Department of Defense Sticker, some buildings require badge access and soldiers assigned must register their personal firearms with emergency services.

The staff at News 19, WLTX sister-stations KVUE and KENS 5 are pursuing details, and will be updated here as they come in.

712 53 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wltx.com/1fvA2Nr