LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- One person was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation following a fire Wednesday morning at the Budget Inn motel on Zimalcrest Drive in Columbia.

Columbia and Irmo Fire Departments responded to an 8 a.m. call for a fire at the Budget Inn motel located at the corner of Bush River Rd. and Zimalcrest Drive in Columbia.

When firefighters arrived at the motel, they quickly were able to put out the fire in the second-floor room, 209, that was the origin of the fire, that also caused extensive smoke damage to additional second-floor rooms.

Richland County EMS transported a female from the motel for treatment of smoke inhalation, and Columbia Fire spokesperson Brick Lewis says the current damage estimates for the contents room 209 are around $10,000, but does not include any smoke damage to adjacent rooms and so could increase.

The Richland County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the fire, and will provide additional information upon completion.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wltx.com/1ftf4i8