Greer, SC (WSPA) --A cigarette may have been the cause of a brush fire that spread to multiple homes in Greer Wednesday. Fire crews were called back to Riverwood Farm subdivision Thursday morning for hot spots that led to a small fire.
Greer Fire Chief Chris Harvey tells 7 On Your Side a cigarette along a road may have started the flames, but it's too early in the investigation to say for certain.
The fire started Wednesday afternoon at the gated community on Gibbs Shoals Road at Gladstone Way. Investigators tell us they think it started as a brush or grass fire and was fueled by high winds.
The flames spread to a three unit condo and a single family home. The homes are being considered a total loss. Nearby homes sustained minor damage.
No injuries have been reported at this time.
Chief Harvey says there are still hot spots Thursday morning in the condo building. He says it took the first fire seven minutes to reach the scene Wednesday afternoon.