LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Columbia, SC (WLTX) -- A fire early Wednesday morning caused a total of 12 people to lose their homes in Columbia.

According to Columbia Fire Spokesperson Brick Lewis, the fire affected building 700 at Cypress Run Apartments on Broad River Road just after 3AM Wednesday.

No one was reported injured in the fire.

According to Lewis, contents of a grill were not properly extinguished sometime overnight, and the unattended contents burned through a third floor deck, falling onto and burning the second floor deck below.

Damages, including water damage to adjacent apartments along with the fire damage of the two exterior decks involved, are estimated at $55,000.

9 adults and three children have been displaced by the fire, and are being provided assistance by the management staff of the Cypress Run Apartments and the American Red Cross of The Midlands.

All residents are advised to always ensure outdoor grills have been properly shut down (gas) or fully extinguished (charcoal) to prevent accidental fires.

Gas grills should have all burners completely turned off, and the fuel source valve shut off.

Coals remain hot inside charcoal grills for some time following use, so always monitor those, and take necessary steps to be 100% sure they have fully cooled.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wltx.com/story/news/2014/07/02/overnight-apartment-fire-displaces-12/12012483/