LINKEDIN 4 COMMENTMORE

Columbia, SC (AP, WLTX) - Four former South Carolina governors issued a statement Wednesday applauding Gov. Nikki Haley's call to remove the Confederate battle flag from State House grounds.

Haley called for the flag's removal at a news conference Monday afternoon. On Tuesday, the South Carolina legislature has approved debate which could lead to the banner's removal.

Wednesday's joint statement was signed by Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Dick Riley, David Beasley and Jim Hodges.

It reads, "Last week's tragic events at Mother Emanuel AME Church have reminded us of the important bond we share as South Carolina citizens. We should fly only the United States and South Carolina flags on our Statehouse grounds - flags that represent us all."

Though not listed on the statement, former Governor Mark Sanford, who's now a U.S. Representative representing Charleston and Hilton Head, said he believes the flag should be lowered.

Beasley lost his bid for re-election in 1998 after advocating for its removal. He was at the Statehouse on Tuesday to encourage his former colleagues to support Haley's position.

He said he was startled by how many legislators have switched positions in a matter of days.

He says: "Twenty years ago, they differed with me on this issue."

Hollings, who went on to be a U.S. senator from 1966 to 2004, was governor when the Confederate flag was hoisted on top of the State house dome. He called for it to come down in 2000, when legislators passed the compromise that moved a smaller, square version to a Confederate monument out front.

LINKEDIN 4 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wltx.com/1NbxjHb