LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington will forego his final season with the school and enter the upcoming NFL Draft.

The university confirmed Ellington's decision Friday afternoon.

Ellington, a junior, was a star for both the football team and the basketball team. Because of his decision, he will also no longer play for the basketball team.

"I would like to thank Coach Spurrier, Coach Horn and Coach Martin for giving me the opportunity to play both football and basketball at South Carolina," said Ellington in a statement. "I also want to thank all the Gamecock fans and my teammates for the past four years in Columbia. It's been a great experience and I've been truly blessed."

"I'm extremely happy for Bruce and the decision that he is making," South Carolina head basketball coach Frank Martin said in a statement. "He's a winner and he is going to utilize this as taking the first step of the next chapter of his life. All of us at South Carolina should be ecstatic that a young man his age has given so much of himself to represent this University athletically, socially and academically in a first class way."

He joins fellow juniors Jadeveon Clowney, Kelcy Quarles, and Victor Hampton, who are also leaving early.

Ellington led the Gamecocks with 49 receptions for 775 yards and eight touchdowns last year. In the Capital One Bowl, Ellington had his best individual performance ever: 140 yards, two receiving touchdowns, and a passing touchdown.

Ellington finished his football career with 106 receptions for 1,586 yards and 16 touchdowns, seventh on the all-time list.

He graduated in December.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wltx.com/1eteAU5