COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) released their latest information Tuesday. The numbers reflect data that ended a 24-hour period at 11:59 p.m. on May 2, 2021.
There were 294 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the latest data. A record 6,824 new positive cases were reported on January 8. South Carolina had never seen a day above 4,000 before Christmas Day and had never seen more than 3,000 prior to December 9, 2020.
According to DHEC, there is a total of 8,383 confirmed deaths since the start of the pandemic, with 0 additional deaths reported in the latest numbers. The highest number of confirmed COVID-19 related deaths reported in a single day was 93, reported on January 15, 2021. There are also 0 probable deaths reported today, for a total of 1,141 probable deaths.
Hospitalizations remain steady with 386 hospitalizations reported on Tuesday, with 107 of those patients in intensive care and 51 on ventilators. A single day record of 2,453 hospitalizations was reported January 12, 2021.
Here are the rest of the day's numbers.
Today's cases and deaths (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
Cumulative totals (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
- Confirmed and probable cases: 483,611/97,610
- Confirmed and probable deaths: 8,383/1,141
- Tests performed for South Carolinians: 7,481,470
Vaccination totals (scdhec.gov/covid19/covid-19-vaccination-dashboard)
- Total doses received by SC residents: 2,960,657
- Total SC residents with at least 1 vaccine: 1,734,402
- Total SC residents who have been completely vaccinated: 1,324,447
- Percent of SC residents who have been completely vaccinated: 32.3%
Testing opportunities (scdhec.gov/COVID19testing)
Percent positive (scdhec.gov/COVID19dashboard)
- 7,660 molecular test results reported statewide yesterday (not including antibody tests)
- 5.1% percent positive
The information above as well as extensive reporting on county-level information, demographics and more is available at scdhec.gov/COVID19. The website is updated between 1 p.m.-3 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. weekends. Visit scdhec.gov/COVID19vaccine for the latest vaccine information.
Additional information and resources