COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) released their latest information Saturday. The numbers reflect data that ended a 24-hour period at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, May 13, 2021.
There were 529 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the latest data. A record 6,824 new positive cases were reported on January 8. South Carolina had never seen a day above 4,000 before Christmas Day and had never seen more than 3,000 prior to December 9, 2020.
According to DHEC, there is a total of 8,484 confirmed deaths since the start of the pandemic, with 12 additional deaths reported in the latest numbers. The highest number of confirmed COVID-19 related deaths reported in a single day was 93, reported on January 15, 2021. There were no probable deaths reported today, for a total of 1,154 probable deaths.
Hospitalizations remain steady with 340 new hospitalizations reported on Saturday with 95 of those patients in intensive care and 44 on ventilators. A single day record of 2,453 hospitalizations was reported January 12, 2021.
Here are the rest of the day's numbers.
Today's cases and deaths (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
Cumulative totals (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
- Confirmed and probable cases: 488,512/99,598
- Confirmed and probable deaths: 8,484/1,154
- Tests performed for South Carolinians: 7,674,095
Vaccination totals (scdhec.gov/covid19/covid-19-vaccination-dashboard)
- Total doses received by SC residents: 3,168,639
- Total SC residents with at least 1 vaccine: 1,807,800
- Total SC residents who have been completely vaccinated: 1,469,971
- Percent of SC residents who have been completely vaccinated: 35.8%
Testing opportunities (scdhec.gov/COVID19testing)
Percent positive (scdhec.gov/COVID19dashboard)
- 17,985 molecular test results reported statewide yesterday (not including antibody tests)
- 2.9% percent positive
The information above as well as extensive reporting on county-level information, demographics and more is available at scdhec.gov/COVID19. The website is updated between 1 p.m.-3 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. weekends. Visit scdhec.gov/COVID19vaccine for the latest vaccine information.
Additional information and resources