Columbia, SC (WLTX) - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley issued a statement after a jury in Charleston was unable to render a verdict in the case of Michael Slager, the former police officer charged with killing Walter Scott last year.
The jury told the judge Monday afternoon they were deadlocked, and there was no possibility of reaching a unanimous verdict. Related Coverage: Jury Can't Reach Verdict in Slager Trial
"It is my understanding that there will be, as quickly as possible, a new trial where the Scott family and all of South Carolina will hopefully receive the closure that a verdict brings," Haley wrote. "Justice is not always immediate, but we must all have faith that it will be served - I certainly do. I urge South Carolinians - in Charleston and across our state - to continue along the path we have walked these last two years: a path of grace, faith, love and understanding. That is who we are, and who I know we will continue to be."
Slager shot Walter Scott five times in the back on April 4, 2015. Slager has always maintained that he killed Scott in self-defense.
The prosecutor in the case, Scarlett Wilson, said she would re-try Slager.
Related Coverage: Walter Scott Family: 'It's Not Over Til' God Says It's Over'