Breaking News
More () »

How to Report If Your Car Gets Damaged on SC Roads

 If you drive on South Carolina roads, you know how rough they can be--so rough, in fact, they can cause damage.

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - If you drive on South Carolina roads, you know how rough they can be--so rough, in fact, they can cause damage.

We reported on the problem again this week, and we were flooded with responses from viewers about the damages they've gotten to their vehicles over the years.

We talked to Amanda Taylor with the damage claims department at SCDOT, who says a person cannot be reimbursed if the department did not know about the pothole or defect that allegedly caused damage.

"In order to pay a claim, the DOT has to have notice of the defect prior to someone sustaining damage and DOT also failed to repair the defect in a reasonable time," Taylor said. "So one example of a reason a claim might be denied is if we weren't aware that there was a defect that needed to be corrected."

Taylor says a person can report damages in their area, and that will count as an official notice that there is a defect in the road.

To file a damage claim with the SCDOT, you can find the information here. Taylor advises to ensure all of the required information is submitted, but that you can also submit pictures.

"Pictures are not required by state law, but they are helpful," Taylor said. "Pictures of both the defect that has caused your damage and also pictures of your property. That helps us, certainly, evaluate the claim."

We are on your side with where you can report road defects in your area.

South Carolina Department of Transportation:

Toll-free customer service line. 855-467-2368

Columbia: 803-737-2314. A customer service agent will take the report.

Richland County:

Ombudsman's office

One-Call Response Center: 803-929-6000


2020 Hampton Street
Room 3061
Post Office Box 192
Columbia, SC 29202

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

E-Mail: ombudsman@rcgov.us

Website: Richland County Ombudsman's Office

Lexington County

Public Works Office (For County-maintained roads)

440 Ball Park Road
Lexington, SC 29072

Phone: (803) 785-8201

Email: publicworks@lex-co.com

Website: Lexington County Public Works

Calhoun County

Public Works

102 Courthouse Drive
Courthouse Annex Suite 108
St. Matthews SC

Phone: 1-803-874-2435

Website: Calhoun County Public Works

Orangeburg County

Public Services

Phone: (803) 533-6164

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm

Website: Orangeburg County Public Works

Clarendon County

Public Works Dept.

Phone: 803-435-4597

194 Walker St., P.O. Box 486, Manning, SC 29102

E-mail: publicworks@clarendoncountygov.org

Website: Clarendon County Public Works

Sumter County

Public Works Office

1289 N Main St

Sumter, SC 29150

Phone: 803-436-2241

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 7:30 - 4:30

Website: Sumter County Public Works

Lee County

Public Works Office:

Phone: 803- 459 -6383

If it's a paved road, people should contact:

Department of Transportation in Bishopville

Phone: (803)-484-6236

Kershaw County

Public works:

Phone: (803) 425-7191

Website: Kershaw County Public Works

Fairfield County

Public Works

2067 US Hwy 321 Bypass North
P.O. Drawer 60
Winnsboro, SC 29180

Phone: (803) 635-5209

Email: public.works@Fairfield.sc.gov

Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-4:PM

Website: Fairfield County Public Works

Newberry County

Public Works

540 Public Works Drive
Newberry, SC 29108

Phone: (803)-321-2180

Saluda County

Roads & Bridges Dept.

111 Law Enforcement Drive
Saluda, South Carolina 29138

Phone No: (864) 445-2106 or (864) 445-0243


Saluda SCDOT Saluda Office: 864-445-2586

Before You Leave, Check This Out