Charlotte, NC (WLTX) - The family of the man shot and killed by a Charlotte police officer this week, has seen the video of their relative's death, and say it gives them "more questions than answers."

The Keith Scott family released a statement early Thursday evening, several hours after they reviewed the videos that were provided to them by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police. Those recordings included two videos captured by police dashboard and body cameras.

"When told by police to exit his vehicle, Mr. Scott did so in a very calm. non-aggressive manner," the family wrote in their statement. "While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time."

Scott was shot and killed Monday by an officer who said they believed he had a weapon. His family and some in the community have maintained that he was holding a book when he was shot, but officers say he was grasping a gun.

"It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands," the family statement says. "When he was shot and killed, Mr. Scott's hands were by his side and he was slowly walking backwards."

During a news conference Thursday, Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putsey said it wasn't clear if the weapon was being raised. He didn't into too many details about his thoughts on the tape, and said that he wouldn't be releasing it to the public. "If you think we should display a victim's worst day for public consumption, that is not the transparency I'm speaking of," he said.

The family, though, feels the public should see it.

"It was incredibly difficult for members of the Scott family to view these videos, but as a matter of greater good and transparency, the Scott family asks that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department publicly immediately release both of the videos they watched today."

"We will continue our own investigation into Mr. Scott's death. For those who wish to protest, we urge you to do so peacefully."

Scott's death has led to protests that turned violent in uptown Charlotte the last two nights. One person died when he was shot during Wednesday night's protests.