SUMTER, S.C. — Authorities say two people are receiving help from the American Red Cross after a house fire in Sumter on Sunday afternoon.
A spokesperson for Sumter Fire said that crews responded to West Oakland Avenue near Woodside Road around 1:40 p.m. where a fire had begun to spread to the attic.
Officials said that roughly 15 firefighters from multiple stations responded to the scene and spent about two-and-a-half hours there bringing the fire under control.
Authorities said no one was injured in the fire. At this time, authorities believe the incident began as a cooking fire. A department spokesperson said the damage to the home was estimated at about $60,000 and described as significant.